The St. Mark’s United Methodist Men meet every first Saturday of the month at 7:30 AM for a hearty breakfast before a short devotional. After the devotional, and any business that needs to be addressed, there is a program of some germane topic before the adjournment at 9. Presenters in the past have ranged from sportscasters to leaders of faith based ministries in the area. There is one reoccurring program that everyone enjoys. That is a report from the Boy Scout leaders of the UMM sponsored Troop 398. A work day is scheduled every year for the group to take care of outdoor projects around the church.
A committee comprised of UMM serves as Host for St. Mark’s UMC. UMM provides the kitchen crew for WNT.
There are no dues to be a member of the UMM and no fee charged for the breakfast. It is recommended that members subscribe to the General Commission of United Methodist Men’s Magazine.
Gilbert Hanke, the General Secretary/CEO of the General Commission on UMM, shared the following with the St. Mark’s UMM:
The United Methodist Men
is the largest, most organized men’s ministry of any denomination in the US.
Men matter in the church. A study from Hartford Seminary found that of churches with a worship attendance that is 60% women only 22% are growing; compared to churches with 60% men where 59% are growing.
• In the U.S., 13 million more women than men attend church on any given Sunday
• 25% of church going married women attended church last Sunday without their husband
• It is estimated that 10% of US churches are able to maintain a vibrant men’s ministry program
• Church involvement is the most important predictor of marital stability and happiness
• Religious participation lead men to become more engaged husbands and fathers
• Teens with religious fathers are more likely to say they enjoy spending time with dad and that they admire him.
Data from the book, Man in the Mirror, says that for every 10 men in church
• 9 will have kids that leave the church
• 8 will not find their jobs satisfying
• 6 will pay the monthly minimum on their credit cards
• 5 will have a major problem with porn
• 4 will get divorced
• 1 will have a Biblical world view
• 10 will struggle to balance work and family
To contact the Church Host, CLICK HERE